- Engaged - We have been together for 4 years and engaged for 6 months. Our wedding is in another 5 months.
- Young - We're both 22.
- Catholic - Though we're not lockstep with all Church teachings.
- Scientifically minded - We come from computer science and mathematics educational backgrounds. We like numbers and statistics.
- Learning NFP - We're learning NFP now and will be using it to delay pregnancy in our marriage (we're waiting until then to have sex).
We are not
- Very interested in religious arguments for or against NFP.
- Morally opposed to "unnatural" family planning (ie. contraception).
- 100% sure we'll love using NFP.
- Very worried about pregnancy. We don't want 10 kids and would like to wait a few years to have children, but if we got pregnant on the honeymoon, we'd be thrilled to have a child!
- Very serious - in fact, we are quite silly :)
When considering family planning, we immediately removed methods that worked by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg, due to religious beliefs. This left us with a couple of hormonal methods and barrier methods. The hormonal methods didn't agree with my system, and we weren't looking forward to using barrier methods in marriage. Family friends had great things to say about NFP and after doing a bit of research, it seemed like a good fit.
In future posts, I'll be writing about how we started charting, and what we're finding easiest and most difficult about NFP.