- 12 months before wedding - If you're using hormonal birth control for non-contraceptive purposes, meet with your doctor and discuss discontinuing it.
- 10 months before wedding - Find an NFP-friendly doctor. Ask about any health problems or medications that might effect pregnancy.
- 9 months before wedding - Research different types of NFP (here's a thorough list). Consider what would work best for both of you. Read everything you can about it.
- 8 months before wedding - Start observing fertility signs. Get familiar with your cycle and develop the habit of carefully recording your observations.
- 6 months before wedding - Enroll in an NFP class. (Catholic hospitals and churches often keep lists of instructors and classes). By the time your class rolls around, you will have a few months of data, making the class more interesting and much easier to follow.
- 5 months before wedding - Attend NFP classes.
- 1 months before wedding - Review the 6 months of charts you've collected and look forward to your wedding!
- The wedding!!! - Put what you've learned into action :D
Monday, October 20, 2014
Timeline for learning NFP while engaged
It's often advised that couples collect 3 to 6 months of observations before using NFP to avoid pregnancy. This means that it's best for couples to start using NFP during their engagement. Here's the recommended timeline: